Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Spring is in the Air

This past weekend it was beautiful out and the kids and I spent plenty of time outside. Our first visit to the park showed me how much my little Kindergartner is growing up. Even if he hasn't learned a lick inside the school, he is definitely mastering everything on the playground. A few weeks ago I found out that he could swing on his own. Now I have seen him do the monkey bars and rings. I guess he has finally gained the upper body strength to do it. You can actually see a six pack starting to get defined and some biceps on him.

Katie has also showed me a cool new trick she can do - ride Zachary's bike. Zachary got the big boy bike with training wheels when he was 3 1/2 and he is just starting to master it. For some reason he could never master peddling forward (ok maybe it was laziness - not quite sure). Little Miss Independence on the other hand zips around the driveway on her Tricycle and is now into his bike. Unfortunately her birthday is not until 3 days after Christmas. Lets see how long Zach will share with her.

On Saturday night we had two of our cousins spend the night. Both kids get so excited when their cousins come over. Although Zachary likes them around he doesn't always play hand in hand with them. Katie on the other hand plays right along with her older cooler cousins. I will say she really liked the Bears they brought over and was really digging the black heals of her 5 year-old cousin. It was cute to see her trying to walk in them. Note to self - dress-up clothes for her next Christmas/Birthday. That night I set up the tent in the play room for them to sleep in. I'm not sure how but both my kids decided after trying to get to sleep for over 30 minutes to go sleep in their own beds. How odd.

On Sunday I was trying to have a little fun and mentioned going and flying kites to the kids. Nice sunny day with a little bit of a breeze. Both were really excited. Katie especially. She wanted to fly the fish kite. Unfortunately the kite did not have all its pieces and didn't fly. We did get Zach's Lightening McQueen kite up. Once we got it up though Zachary said he was scared it was going to get stuck in the trees (I think he got it from a Max & Ruby episode)and wanted to bring it down and go play on the playground. So much for having fun flying kites. They did have a good time on the playground though.

Last night, the night before St. Patricks Day, the kids and I made cup cakes. They helped me make the batter and fill the cupcake cups. They did have a hard time waiting until the cupcakes were cooked and cooled down before we put on the icing. Once everything was cooled down we got out the tub of icing and the kids helped me put in the food coloring drops, a little blue and yellow, to make our icing green. Once the icing was on Katie added her sprinkles and Zach put on his Skittles. They actually both ate a cupcake (they normally just like the icing or candy). Zachary even told me that I did a good job making yummy cupcakes. I think Katie agreed as her face was covered in green icing.

After the cupcakes Katie and I had a little sword fight. This is one of her favorite things to play. Probably because it involved playing with swords and running around the house. Last night though we galloped like we were knights riding horses. If you don't watch out for her she will wack you pretty hard in the name of fun:)

No comments: