Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Birthday Weekend

Well - this weekend I celebrated my birthday with the family. The kids definitely got excited. If you asked them what I needed for my birthday they would tell you a pony (Katie) and movie (Zachary). Katie also thought I needed a pony cake while Zach thought a rainbow cake would do. And so I ended up with a My Little Pony Rainbow Dash pony and the movie the Princess Frog. Literally as I was opening the gifts the kids had their hands stretched out for me to let them play with them. I didn't end up with my pony cake but had a Very Berry "JELLY" Pie .

On Saturday the family ventured out to the Ft Worth Museum of Science and History. The kids definitely had a good time in the Children's Museum part playing in the Grocery Store and building train tracks while I enjoyed seeing the Van Gogh exhibit.





On our way out to the car we passed a fountain that the kids could run through and they instantly headed for it. Boy did they get soaked. I had a large kids shirt to change Katie into after it was all said and done and she looked at it and let me know that she did not wear boys shirts. She reluctantly agreed to it once she realized it was the only way to get dry.




Over the last few weeks the kids have started listening to the Mama Mia soundtrack with me in the car. At first if Zach found the CD in the player he would take it out and replace it with his kids songs. Now he just makes sure track 4 - Dancing Queen- is playing. It is so cute to see the kids in the back seat pointing their fingers singing "You can dance, you can jive" and "Feel the beat from the Tambourine". Once that song is over Katie instantly requests "Honey, Honey". I'm sure after we get our CD from VBS this summer then Mama Mia will get replaced.

This past week I finally talked with Zach's prinipal discussing if we were going to promote him to 1st Grade. He actually passed Kindergarten but I was the one with reservations on if he should go. In the end we decided to advance him to first grade as long as he can get help next year with his fine motor skills.

For some reason Zach has never done a good job at grasping objects which in turn makes his writing not so good. He also has no desire to do much for extended periods of time that help with his find motor skills which makes it all the difficult. At home every evening I'm trying to institute time to work on his writing plus other fine motor activities. The last two nights we have worked on his letter and numbers. We get a white board out that you can put in your lap and trace his number and letters. Once he does the minimum writing he is ready to get back to his other activities. The funny thing is that Katie on the other hand wants to do the same things Zach does but will do the basics once and ask to do it again and again.

No comments: